It’s can be challenging to be a child today because they deal with many distractions, temptations, overstimulation and peer pressure. Schools are challenged to do more with less and be creative in how they reach even the most isolated child. Yoga for children in Charlotte is a low-cost, helpful tool that can have a positive impact on children.
Here are some of the many benefits of teaching yoga to children.
Yoga helps children to:
Develop body awareness;
Learn how to use their bodies in a healthy way;
Manage stress through breathing, awareness, meditation and healthy movement;
Increase their confidence and positive self-image;
Feel part of a healthy, non-competitive group;
Have an alternative to tuning out through constant attachment to electronic devices.
Here’s what yoga for children in Charlotte can teach your child.
1. Awareness of the breath: Breathing exercises can energize children or encourage relaxation, depending on what they are taught. Different games and techniques help children connect to how their bodies feel as a result of deep breathing. Focus increases, as does their breathing and lung capacity. Stress is reduced naturally and healthy hormones are released.
2. Strengthening and energizing: Children think that yoga is great for stretching, but doesn’t build strength. Talking about the different muscles used in poses and incorporating games and sequences will help build strength as well as body awareness and coordination. Bodies that are strong digest food better, maintain a healthy weight and can support the stress of carrying heavy loads, like a backpack. Bodies will also breathe better, work more efficiently and protect the more fragile joints.
3. Balancing: Poses and games focused on balancing skills, develop an intrinsic strength, evoke a meditative feeling, and promote stillness and quieting of the mind. This can help children deal with the stress of living in a chaotic world where constant stimulation is a regular part of life.
4. Stretching and lengthening: Strong muscles without accompanying flexibility can’t move quickly, pulling on bones and joints. Yoga poses stretch muscles and through integrating breathing and movement, muscles become warm and become more flexible. They can yield when they need to, and support tender joints in a more functional way.
5. Awareness and focus: Yoga for children in Charlotte helps create awareness in the body through deep breathing and movement. It gives children a way to express themselves, build a strong connection between what they hear and what they do. Children that have healthy body awareness are more confident and strong, have better posture, breathe better and have a sense of quiet strength.
6. Meditation and relaxation: Yoga is meditative by nature, so whether a child is holding a balancing posture, sitting in meditation or moving through a series of poses, there’s going to be a calming, soothing quality. Giving younger children something to do as they rest on their mats will help with their attention, such as suggesting they think of a favorite color or toy. Older children will find it easier to rest longer with less structure.
If you would like more information regarding yoga for children in Charlotte, please give us a call or stop by today!